The American Legion Boys State
American Legion Boys State is among the most respected educational programs of government instruction for high school students. Each participant becomes a part of the operation of his local, county and state government.
At American Legion Boys State, participants are exposed to the rights and privileges, the duties and the responsibilities of a franchised citizen. The training is objective and practical with city, county and state governments operated by the students elected to the various offices. Activities include legislative sessions, court proceedings, law enforcement presentations, assemblies, bands, chorus and recreational programs.
High school juniors are selected by local American Legion Posts to attend the program. In most cases, expenses associated with attending this program are paid by a sponsoring American Legion Post, a local business or another community-based organization.
For further information, contact Chairman Mark A. Avis, At email@example.com or phone - 413 535 9235
This years program will be held June 11 - 16, 2016
at Stonehill College in Easton, Massachusetts
ALL BOYS AND GIRLS STATE CANDIDATES SHOULD APPLY FOR
"THE AMERICAN LEGION SAMSUNG SCHOLARSHIP HERE"
What is Boys State
Boys state is a program of the American legion developed from the concept that youth should be offered a better perspective of the practical operation of government: that the individual is an integral part and commensurately responsible for the character and success of his government. as such, it is an activity of high educational value, born of a need for youth training in practical citizenship.
To elaborate – boys state is easily classified as a leadership action program where qualified male high school juniors take part in a practical government course designed to develop in the young citizens a working knowledge of the structure of government and to impress upon them the fact that their government is just what they make it.
To summarize – boys state is an objective citizenship training program which inculcates individual responsibility to the community, state and nation. it is operated on the basis of the political government organization existing in Massachusetts, including all levels from the municipality to the state.
The Objectives of Boys State
Quite naturally a program of this scope encompasses many objectives, all of which are important, but we outline those of which we, of the American legion, feel are the most important and for which we strive the hardest:
- To develop civic leadership and pride in american citizenship; all of which are earnest hope that each young man attending a boys state will return to his community a better citizen than when came to boys state and that we will have aroused in him a desire to demonstrate this fact by his willingness to make civic contributions which will help to make his community a better place in which to live.
- To arouse a keen interest in the detailed study of our government; here we desire to create more than just a passive interest in the actual study of government – we strive to create that interest which will be born of the desire for knowledge.
- To arouse in the young citizens a determination to maintain our form of government; this we attempt to accomplish in many ways, but primarily by bringing them into the full realization of how really wonderful it is to be an American !!
- To develop in the young citizens of boys state a full understanding of our American traditions and belief in the united states of America. here we desire to impress upon the young mind in the strongest manner possible, the glorious traditions which have made this country what it is today.
- To inculcate a sense of individual obligation to the community, state and nation
- To safeguard and transmit to posterity the principles of justice, freedom and democracy.